Friday, November 26, 2010

Reflection

As I sit out on the porch of our beach front hotel room this morning, I can't help reflect on the last time I was at the beach. God is truly amazing. He changes lives in ways that we could never imagine.

The last time I was at the Myrtle Beach was Labor Day weekend 2009. I was with someone who I thought was my friend. We came with her family, and enjoyed the beach. Not only did we enjoy the beach, we spent a lot of time enjoying the shopping scene. We went shopping everywhere possible. I checked my account balance on my phone before we left the trip. The number was shockingly high, but I went with it! I was happy to have more than less. I was having a wonderful time. I spent what I thought I had... which was not what I actually had. Something funny had happened with my rent check. It didn't show up on the account balance. After unpacking many bags, putting new clothes up, trying on clothes I didn't even bother to try on and making a pile of thigns I may return... I checked my account balance. I WAS OVER $400 NEGATIVE!!!! I thought I was going to die. My stomach instantly went in knots, and I balled over in tears. There was no one I could call for help. I began calculating overdraft fee's, and becuase I swipped my card so many times... THE FEES WERE GOING TO BE MORE THAN THE $400!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought I was going to die. I love living on my own, I love the responsibility that comes with living on your own. I do not like having to ask anyone for help. I called my parents, which was the hardest thing on Earth for me to do. My parents had enough money!!! My mom and I met at the bank and we quickly deposited the money in my bank. God is so good. Bank of America took the money as if it was deposited BEFORE I STARTED MY SHOPPING SPREE. I had no overdraft fee's, no fines, and a bank account that was not in the red!! It felt like it took ages, but I paid my parens back and have no more interest in shopping. I didn't even step in a mall for 9 months after that experience.

It was several weeks after that that Pastor preached the Student Takeover series, and I accepted Christ as my Savior. The Lord is so good. He has transformed my life and I will never be the same.

I am very thankful for life change. The Lord changed my life through that experience. I was a shop-a-holic. Everyone I worked with would tell you that. I blew every dime I had on shopping. I liked having nice things and wanted to have a lot of nice things. :-) I no longer have that desire to have as many clothes as possible. This year I cleaned out my closet and donated 6 bags of clothes to a friend. Old Keirstin would have never been able to part with 6 bags of clothes.

The Lord is so good. I am so thankful for that. I am also thankful that the Lord is alive and well inside Pastor Steven. Pastor Steven preaches straight from the Bible and never holds anything back.

Happy Black Friday everyone. The only thing I am buying today is a phone charger, since I left mine at home. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment