Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day 5 and 6

Hey. I did not get a chance to post yesterday. I went walking with my friend Emily, and then made it a movie night and sat on my couch watching It's Complicated and Bounty Hunter. They were both good. So here are my thoughts on yesterday and today.

First and foremost... I am having a really hard time reading Job and Acts. Can't seem to wrap my head around those. So, I will continue to read them, ask many questions and probably go back when I am done after the eight months to spend more time in those books.

Genesis 5 was genealogy. :/ I have always had a hard time reading the genealogy in the Bible. I can't figure out why it matters to us, why it was printed. My Bible (Quest Study Bible NIV version) had an article about why it is important to read the genealogy, and I found it interesting. I will paraphrase for you. It states that many different cultures find genealogy interesting because it tracks where people came from and such. But, we can find interest in it because we can start to make connections in Biblical stories. It also says that we will find the most interest in the genealogy of Jesus because we can see the connections in Gd's promise to Abraham and the birth of the Messiah. Just thought that was all interesting... with that being said, I still skipped right over chapter 5.

Matthew 5 is the Beatitudes. Verse 12 is my favorite verse in that chapter. "Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted prophets who were before you." I also like verse 16 "In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." My friend Ellen and I were talking about this sort of thing on Sunday.

As I stated before... I had a hard time with Acts 5. I can't understand the beginning. I went to a lady I work with, and she made it her homework to figure out because she couldn't quite understand either. Her only explanation was that things were that serious back then. They lied directly to God, so they died.

I loved 1 Thess. 5:8 "But since we belong to the day, let us be self-controlled, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet." We finished reading 1 Thessalonians yesterday. I really enjoyed reading it! 1 Thess. 5:234 "The one who calls you is faithful and He will do it!"


Romans 5:8 is so real and true. Thank God for this truth. "But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Amen. Go ahead, read it again. It is real and true, and worth reading over and over again becuase I will never be able to wrap my mind completely around how easy it is for me to have a life with Christ... and all that Christ went through for me to have that life with Him. "But God demonstrates His own love for us int his: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

And today...
Genesis 6 is the beginning of the flood. There is a note in my Bible about the reasoning behind the cypress wood - cypress means uncertain in Hebrew. I found that interesting.

I love my Bible. Reading was Joshua 6 sort of confusing. I could not figure out why they were circling around the city over again. I understood the significance of the number 7 thanks to last weekends sermon. Seven symbolizes completion and perfection. The notes in my Bible explained that the reason they were circling the city was because it was an ancient ritual of siege, and they were carrying the ark around because it symbolized the presence of God among the people.


Overall, I loved all of Matthews 6. Some of my favorite parts were Matthews 6:22-23 that states "The eye is the lam of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness; how great is that darkness!". I have always loved Matthew 6:33-34 which says, "But seek first His Kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." I used to worry so much, and I am so thankful that God has freed me of that. I no longer worry, because I know my God is a powerful God and will not put me through anything which I can't handle. His plan is greater than I could ever imagine. Matthew 6:33-34 just reminds me that I have nothing worth worrying about.
For the last two weeks at Elevation we have been talking about forgiveness. When reading Matthew 6:14-15 it was just a reminder of what I have learned the last two weeks at church, and of what I need to be focusing on right now.


Mmmmmmmm... How I just love the book of Romans. It is all amazing. I could highlight the whole book! I loved all of Romans 6, but some of my favorite parts were verse 11-12 - "Int he same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires" and verse 23 - "For the wages of sin is death, but the git of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

I apologize for the long post. I had a lot to say today!

I will close with this...

For sin shall not be your master, becuase you are not under law, but under grace Romans 6:14 -Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment