Saturday, July 24, 2010

Stick With Me! (Old Testament)

So. This will probably be a longer post. I haven't posted in a couple of days, so I am just going to talk about what I have been reading since I posted last. I am going to list my thoughts and such by book, instead of day, since I have so much to go back over! stick with me!

Genesis
The Rainbow - God states that He will never flood the Earth again to destroy all living creatures and to symbolize this He will put a rainbow in the sky after a storm. I love looking at something as simple as a rainbow and think about a promise like that from God.

Joshua
I just have to say that in general... I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the God in the Old Testament. In Joshua 7, one man committed a sin, and his children were punished for it. I have to say that as people living in present day, we are so truly blessed and we don't even realize it. I wish that everyone would take just a moment to realize how blessed we are.
One of the questions in the margins of my Bible asks "Why rely on military strategy to defeat Ai? Joshua 8:3-19 The response says God uses a variety of means to achieve His purpose. Can I just say Amen! This is the truth. God will perform any many different ways. He is God!
I read Joshua 8 and had a hard time understanding why God had commanded Joshua to attack Ai. I googled Joshua 8 and several things came up. I ended up on Victory at Ai. And the short of it is that Joshua 8 reminds us that sin can't be tolerated. But, it also reminds us of the importance of repentance.
The Sun Stands Still... Can I say more? Joshua prayed such a powerful prayer, and God responded. Joshua asked for the sun to stand still, so the sun stood still and the moon stopped

Job
Definitely going to have to spend more time on this when I am done. For now, I am just going to read it and get what I am getting from it. I talked to John Bishop about the Book of Job yesterday. He said that Job could possibly be the oldest book in the Bible. My Bible says that the story of Job was probably passed down from generation to generation and later written down. I asked John Bishop how the conversation between God and Satan was recorded. He said that God may have spoke to the writer of Job, and that's what he wrote.
Job 11:13-20 This is officially my favorite part of Job so far. It is all so true. "You will be secure, because there is hope; you will look about you and take rest in your safety" vs. 18

Psalms
"O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!" Psalm 8:9
"Those who know Your name will trust in You, for You, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek You" Psalm 9:10
"For those who avenges blood remembers; he does not ignore the cry of the afflicted." Psalm 9:12
"You hear, O Lord, the desire of the afflicted, you encourage them, and you listen to their cry, defending the fatherless and the oppressed, in order that man, who is of the earth, may terrify no more." Psalm 10:17-18

Proverbs
"Te fear of the Lord is the beginning of the wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding" Proverbs 9:10
He who gathers crops in summer is a wise son, but he who sleeps during harvest is a disgraceful son" Proverbs 10:5 -- So, I spend most Saturday's sleeping all day until I have to be at church. I have been struggling with wondering if this is actually a sin (sloth?). It's not like I sleep all day every day. I worry that I am trying to rationalize this. Reading this, just gave me another reason to think I shouldn't do this.
"When the righteous prosper, the city rejoices; when the wicked perish, there are shouts of joy. Through the blessings of the upright a city is exalted, but by the mouth of the wicked it is destroyed." Proverbs 11:10-11 -- The note in my Bible on this says "Does God actually bless entire cities?" I would say yes. Charlotte is such an example. I feel so blessed to live in Charlotte. God is moving here.

Isaiah
Isaiah 12 This is such a beautiful passage.

No comments:

Post a Comment