Friday, December 24, 2010

The Great Commission

Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And s urely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.
Matthew 28:16-20

Elevation Church exists so that people who are far from God will be filled with life in Christ. I love this saying. Elevation Church strongly believes in the great commission. We are suppose invite the lost to church! That is our job as believers. Elevation does not exist for me, it exists for the unchurched. I love this! I love reaching out and inviting people to church. It is such a privilege to invite the unchurched to a church that I am completely devoted to. I love seeing their reaction when the worship team comes out. There face screams "this is a church?" I love that!

My parents are CEO's. (Christmas and Easter Only) This has always bothered me. I use to invite them to church on a weekly basis. I made it possible for them to have no excuses, and they still found them. It hurt too much to invite on a weekly basis. I would cry on my way home and feel defeated. I began only asking Christmas and Easter only. They grin and bare it now. I am just happy I can get them to say yes on Christmas and Easter.

We went to Elevation's Christmas Experience on Wednesday. This was the first service. I was so excited to be able to go to the first service. I thought my parents would enjoy getting it over with first. It worked out for all of us.
Elevation has a way of always doing something unique and off the wall. This year it was fireworks inside. Chris had a full blown asthma attack. My mom and Chris left the auditorium, but my dad, Corey and I stayed for the sermon. Chris only got worse. No ushers or greeters would let my mom or anyone for that matter back into the auditorium to let us know that they needed my dads keys to get home.

My parents are livid. They chewed me out. Obviously, since I own Elevation Church and I was behind the fireworks and the no interruptions rule. My mom told me that me inviting her to church is me telling her that I am not happy with who she is, and showing her who I want her to be. I told her that it wasn't who I wanted her to be, it was who God wanted her to be. He sent me to invite her. I said I only do it because I love them. They said, you could love me a little less.
Chris said to me last night, I will never go back to Elevation Church. That killed me. I just keep hearing him say that in my head. He use to love Elevation. He served in Production. I don't know what changed in September, but he stopped volunteering and turns down every opportunity to attend. This was sort of the icing on the cake, as they would say.

During the series "The Invitation", Pastor said that not inviting someone to church is like not inviting your best friend to your wedding. That has stuck with me, and is my reason for inviting everyone to church. I want to see my parents in heaven. It kills me to know that I am going to go to heaven, and at this point I won't see them there.

This is sort of a vent since my family won't hear me out right now. I am praying that God continues to give me strength to reach my family and not give up. Satan is trying to tear me down and tell me that it's not worth it. Satan is telling me "why bother?" But, it's worth it. Eternal life for my parents and brother is worth it to me!

For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost.
Luke 19:10
Merry Christmas Eve!

No comments:

Post a Comment