Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lent

"Even now," declares the Lord, "return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning." Rend your heart and not your garments. Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and he relents from sending calamity.
Joel 2:12-13


Today is Ash Wednesday. Ash Wednesday is the beginning of lent. Lent is a 40 day period of fasting. There are six Sundays in lent which do not count in the 40 days because these Sundays are meant to be "mini-Easters". Lent is about the opportunity to regain self-control.


I have never fasted from anything for lent. This year will be the first year, and I am excited about this experience. I will be fasting from fast food. This will be an amazing time for me. I enjoy running through a drive thru on my lunch break. It is my escape from work. This time will allow me to focus on God on my lunch break rather than what I eat.


What will you be fasting from for lent?

No comments:

Post a Comment