Sunday, March 13, 2011

Perfect

Warning: This video contains graphic content!



I have heard this song on the radio for weeks. The first time I heard it, I knew that God wanted me to write about it. But it took me weeks to figure out what He wanted me to say. I love this song.

Pretty, pretty please/Don’t you ever, ever feel/Like you’re less than/less than perfect/Pretty, pretty please/If you ever, ever feel /Like you’re nothing/You are perfect to me

Every time I heard this song, I was so comforted. God feels this way about me. He feels this way about you. You are perfect to Him. That was all I could think of to write this post. He thinks you are perfect. As I was trying to figure out how I could make that one statement an entire blog post, I looked up the video to the song. Woah! That video broke my heart. It is so graphic. Seeing how she carved "PERFECT" into her arm, and all the blood in the tub. It killed me.

Through that, God gave me the perfect blog post. Isn't it interesting how God works. Through a bloody wrist that had "PERFECT" carved into it, I saw God.

In high school, I struggled with fitting in. I got a job to buy "nice" clothes for myself. I thought that American Eagle, Abercrombie and Hollister clothes was all it took to fit in. I pretended to have this beautiful life. As far as I was concerned, the right clothes worked. I got invited to parties and hung out with the "popular" children. But, none of that changed who I was or where I came from. I didn't come from a great, happy home. I bought my way into being popular. I was pretending to be someone I was not. Hiding who I was hurt.

My sophomore year was tough. I hated hiding who I was. I hated not being able to talk about what was going in my life. I was just always dusting things under the rug. I began cutting myself. It was such a relief. I never told anyone. To this day there is only one person who knows that I cut myself. I never felt beautiful. I never felt loved. I knew nothing about the love of Jesus Christ.

I wish I had someone to tell me this when I was in high school...

Even if you don't fit in, even if you don't have a nice car... God loves you. God sent His only Son to save you! God wants your heart. He doesn't want you to hurt yourself. He doesn't want you to hurt. He loves you! He loves you more than anyone on this Earth will ever love you. He loves you more than your future husband will love you. God loves you. Jesus Christ died for you. Jesus Christ loves you!

Are you listening? This is to you. You don't have to be in high school. You can be a 25-year-old single woman who feels like she will never get married and looks in the mirror wondering what is wrong with her. You can be a 23-year-old man who has had sex with more women than you can remember trying to feel loved. Are you listening?

Jesus Christ loves you. He died on the cross for you.

Matthew 9:10-13 says While Jesus was having dinner at Matthew's house, many tax collectors and "sinners" came and ate with him and his disciples. When the Pharisees saw this they asked his disciples, "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and 'sinners'? On hearing this Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice,' For I have not come to all the righteous but sinners." No matter where you are coming from, it is okay. He still loves you. He came to Earth for you. Elevation Church exists for you. We don't exist for the saved. We are reaching people far from God.

I pray for the day that there is no one on this Earth who does not know the love of God. I pray for the day that there is no one who feels as if cutting themselves is the only relief to pain. I pray for the day that there is no one who feels as if killing themselves is the only way to save themselves.

Jesus loves you! Take heart in that!

In deed, the vary hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. (Luke 12:7)

No comments:

Post a Comment