Monday, November 26, 2012

Nehemiah and Me

"Do I still follow God's plan, even if it means I lose my relationship with my parents?"
 
"Is getting my Master's degree worth losing my relationship with my parents?"
 
"Can I spend Thanksgiving with you, because my parents don't want to see me."
 



Those were just a few of the text messages that I sent Tuesday evening to close friends of mine.  I laid awake this past Tuesday debating on the worth of pursing God's call on my life. 
  
I did some research on Bible characters that refused to give up.  I came across Nehemiah.  He is quite a great man of God.  He was a cup-bearer for the king, (meaning he tested the drink before the king drank out of it), was a trusted man of the king and was a trusted advisor.  He fasted and prayed for help when hearing the news about Jerusalem.  He left his job to go to Jerusalem to rebuild the temple.  Despite constant attacks by enemies, Nehemiah led the rebuilding of the walls in 52 days!
 
I skimmed the book of Nehemiah.  It's a long stretch, but I'm able to relate to Nehemiah in this moment of my life.  I've fasted and prayed for God to reveal a plan for my life.  He revealed it.  I've made arrangements to fulfill this plan.  And despite constant ridicule, hurtful words and attacks by those who are close to me, I will do what God has called me to do.
 
... But I prayed, "Now strengthen my hands."
Nehemiah 6:9b
 
There is no way that I will be able to accomplish all that I plan to accomplish without God's strength inside of me. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment