Friday, July 29, 2011

The Calm Before the Storm

because on this day atonement will be made for you, to cleanse you. Then, before the LORD, you will be clean from all your sins.
Leviticus 16:30


Have you ever felt like everything was going great, and then get that feeling that something bad is about to happen?  I had that feeling last week, except it isn't that I think something "bad" is going to happen.  I feel as if I am about to get challenged.  A challenge can be bad, if you look at it like that.  I like to look at it as God working on and making me stronger!

I had this feeling in my heart and deep in my gut that the Lord was about to challenge me in a way that He hadn't challenged me before.  I had this feeling that I would be stretched and have to depend on Him.  I know, I should already depend on Him for everything... And that is probably why He is about to do this. 

Let me say this before I continue- I am not saying this to brag.  I am saying this to give you an idea on how to look at a struggle that is ahead.  If a girl like me can do what I did, you surely can!  Now, I can say this...

I took this feeling and ran with it.  I knew that if God is going to challenge me, stretch me, and force me to depend on Him to make all my coming decisions, I needed to get started on the right foot.

Back in February, Pastor Steven challenged the staff and leaders of Elevation to juice and water only fast for five days.  It was called the 5:11 Favor Fast.  It was because our church was entering it's fifth year in 2011 (5:11), and we just wanted to thank God for where He had brought Elevation and where we were going. 

I remembered this, and remembered how it forced me to lean on God.  So, I fasted this week.  On day five, last time, I didn't want to get out of bed because I was so tired.  So, I fasted for four days.  This forced me to lean on God.  I wanted my mind to be in the right place going into this period of challenge.

I want to encourage you.  Lean on the Lord.  Get your mind in the right place.  For me it was fasting.  For you it may be opening your Bible every day, spending time alone with the Lord every day, learning how to be silent and listen to Him... Leaning on the Lord looks different for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment