Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pastor Mark Driscoll

Pastor Mark Driscoll is the pastor of Mars Hill Church in Seattle, Washington.  He was raised Catholic, but at 19 he had a life changing experience when reading the book of Romans.  This is when he became a Christian.  Soon to be out, Mark Driscoll and his wife, Grace wrote a book on relationships.

There was no title given for this message. 

Idolatry looks different for everyone: bed, desk, success, etc.

Why am I worshipping the wrong god?

Under every sin is an idol.

You can have a theology of love and grace but not have a reality of it.

Marriage gets better or bitter.

It doesn't matter what you say, your actions portray you.

Sometimes you suffer because you are wrong.

Focus on friendship with your spouse.

Are you friends with your spouse?

Be friendly towards all but friends with a few.

The first friendship of the world was marriage - Adam and Eve.

We are meant to be married.

We should be shoulder to shoulder and face to face in marriage. 

Many marriages get caught up in shoulder to shoulder time - doing life together, standing side by side.  Marriages need more face to face time, looking in each others eyes and talking.

Friendship changes everything in a marriage.


---
I find myself struggling with how to apply this message to my life today.  I hope to remember this message for the day that I get married.  I want to remember how key it is to be friends with my spouse. 

Pastor Mark spoke on a very personal level about how he and his wife, Grace were not having face to face time.  They were lovers but not friends.  Then, one day, everything changed.  Grace needed a friend, and Pastor Mark realized where their marriage had gone wrong.  It went wrong by always being shoulder to shoulder.  They learned how to have face to face time and be friends with one another.

For my married readers - I hope this can help your marriage.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment