Tuesday, October 25, 2011

You're Doing Better Than You Think You Are

I love my church.  I feel like I say this all the time, but I mean it with all of my heart every time.  I love my church!  Pastor Steven speaks with such boldness every weekend.  Every message is encouraging and challenging.  I leave inspired to change the world, change my behavior, change my outlook and be a better person.  Every sermon is better than the last.  I don't know how he does it, but he does.

This past weekends sermon was titled The Most Encouraging Message You Never Heard.  Wonder why you never heard it?  Because Jesus is talking behind your back.  Typically this is a bad thing, but when it comes to Jesus, it is all good!  He wants to affirm ourselves in Him, not in ourselves. 

Pastor's sermon had three points for anyone who needed to hear encouragement from Jesus.
1. You are doing better than you think you are.
2. Your life means more than you think it does.
3. It is less about you than you think it is.

Point number 1 was the most encouraging to me.  To think that up in heaven, Jesus is saying that about me, just changed my outlook on several current situations.  When I sit down and think about it from an outside perspective, I really am doing better than I think I am.  I get up every weekend and volunteer at Elevation.  I am doing better than I think I am, becuase at least I am volunteering.  There are so many people who don't.  I am giving 20% to my church.  I am doing better than I think I am, becuase the majority of the people at Elevation don't give 10%.  I am training for a 5k.  I am doing better than I think I am, becuase there are so many people who are just sitting on the couch watching TV.  I am doing better than I think I am.

How are you doing better than you think you are?  Are you unemployed and looking for a job?  You are doing better than you think you are, there are so many people who are taking unemployment and not trying to look for a job.  Are you single and saving yourself for marriage?  You are doing better than you think you are, you are doing it Gods way!  How are you doing better than you think you are?

Point number 3 was the reality check.  The line that stuck with me the most was, "It isn't about your participation, it is about being a part of the mission."  If I can be honest here, I was so caught up in seeking someone to appreciate me for what I was doing.  This reminded me that it isn't about what I am doing, it is about being a part of the big picture.  This was a reality check.

Where are you seeking approval that you shouldn't be?  Where have you found yourself caught up in your part, not the big picture?  It's less about you than you think it is.


I am so thankful to get to be a part of Elevation Church.  This sermon reminded me how priveledged I am.  I get to be a part of Elevation.  I am under the leadership of one of the greatest leaders in this country, Pastor Steven Furtick.  I am a part of one of the fastest growing churches in Amera.  And why is one of the fastest, because our mission is to see people far from God filled with life in Christ.  We will stop at nothing to see this mission fufilled.  And, we do it all with excellence.  I am so thankful to get to be a part of Elevation Church!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment