Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Being Single Isn't All Bad

I would like you to be free from concern.  An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord’s affairs – how he can please the Lord.  But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world – how he can please his wife – and his interests are divided.  An unmarried women or virgin is concerned about the Lord’s affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit.  But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of the world – how she can please her husband.  I am saying this for your own good, not to restrict you, but that you may live in the right way in undivided devotion to the Lord.

1 Corinthians 7:32-35

This week, I have been on a roll talking about what the Lord wants for mine (and your) dating life.  I have been discussing how I gave God control of all of my times, how I will not waste time on a man who is not Mr. Right.  Today, I talk about the positive side of being single.

I am not going to lie.  I want to be in a committed relationship.  I don’t want to continue spending my nights alone with a bowl of ice cream watching Grey’s Anatomy.  I don’t want to continue having no one to call to talk to about my day.  But, this is where I am in my life right now.  God knows me better than I know myself.  I trust that He thinks that this is better for my life right now, than being with someone.  So, I do not hold any bitterness about being single right now.

As I spend more time being single, with no love interests in my life, I have began to evaluate how great this time is for me.  Here are some great things I have found about being single right now.

The most important, I have more time to spend with the Lord.  As you can read above in 1 Corinthians 7:32-35, the writer states that an unmarried person should devote themselves to the Lord in both body and spirit.  But, a married person compromises their devotion to the Lord by becoming concerned with the ways of her husband/his wife.  If I were in a dating relationship, I would find myself diving my time with the Lord and with my boyfriend.  Right now, I can devote all of myself to the ways of the Lord.

I have more time to spend with my family.  Right now, I spend Friday nights with my mom.  We go out to dinner, go shopping, and just bond.  I typically go to my parents on Saturday or Sunday to have dinner with them.  This is a great opportunity to strengthen my relationship with my parents.  If I were to be in a relationship, I would spend my weekends with that lucky man.  Right now, I get to spend time with my parents!

I have time to spend time with friends.   In my previous relationships, I spent all of my time with the boy I was with.  I spent less time with my friends.  I have been able to see Victoria more this year, than any year in the past six years.  We take day  trips to halfway points and drive to spend the weekend with one another often.  I love it!!! Right now, I get to spend time with my friends!   

Being single is great!!!  I am so grateful for this time that I have to devote all of my life to the Lord, strengthen my relationship with my family, and spend time with my amazing friends.  I will not take this time for granted. 

 Single people – What do you  have time to do now that you wouldn’t have time to do in a relationship?  Keep looking at the positives!

No comments:

Post a Comment