Saturday, August 14, 2010

James

I have a lot to say about James 1!

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trails of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything James 1:2-4 Yes, You read that correctly. James wrote that when you are being tempted and tested, consider it pure joy! That is a statement that very hard to live out. But, it is so true that the outcome is so worth it!

If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does. James 1:5-8 How true is that! We should never doubt the power of God! I posted earlier today about Genesis 24 when someone is praying a powerful prayer to God; basically giving God instructions on how to reveal a woman to him. Before he is even finished praying, God places that woman in front of the man! God is amazing. We should never doubt, and always believe in our prayers.

And back to the debate about temptation... When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone;... James 1:13

To my friends who are quick to become angry... "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry" James 1:19

Personal Confession:The other day, God was speaking to me. I mean, truly speaking to me. Everything I heard, everything I read, was God screaming at me. I made excuse after excuse. I acknowledged that it was Him speaking to me, but ignored what He was saying because it was not something that I wanted to hear. Well, James 1:22-25 just smacked me in the face.

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it - he will be blessed in what he does.

In verse 22-23 was like seeing the hand come at me, verse 24 was the smack, and verse 25 was the sting after. I pray that God can give me a more obedient heart. I want to follow His word, but being the strong-willed person I am, am foolish enough to think that I can do this on my own....


James 4:7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. When I read this, I immediately thought of what Pastor said a few weeks ago. Pastor said "Just don't pick up the phone when Satan calls." (This was week one of our Christ Alone series)

James 5:7-9 e patient, then, brothers, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains. You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near. Don't grumble against each other, brothers or you will be judged. The Judge is standing at the door! That is so true. God is watching and listening to everything we do and say.

"As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy" James 5:11

No comments:

Post a Comment